Saturday, March 31, 2007

Good week

I bought a guitar today! Our new friend and guitarist for the downstairs church, Frank, took us to the Calle Puente Bolognesi, where there are nearly a dozen guitar shops, mostly hand-made there. Almost all are nylon-stringed. After Frank and I tried several guitars in several stores, we decided on one and Frank helped bargain down to about the equivalent of $100, including the case. It's a beautiful instrument, and I plan on using it at the church here, and then taking it along to use in the ministry in Lima. Pictures are below.
It has been a very good week. We love our language school and have been working hard, labeling everything in our apartment, learning 60 new verbs, and quizzing each other on a long list of prepositions. Some is review, but much-needed review. The hardest (and most important) part is putting these things into context. I can sit and make verb conjugation charts for hours and it might as well be a math exercise. I realize I need to adjust the way I learn, because it is for the purpose of communication and not for passing a written test. We are also learning how to work and study together, which is new and, like hanging wallpaper or having a kid, can be a terrific stress on a relationship. Thankfully I have a patient wife, and we are doing very well. Last night we realized we had been taking care of Noah and doing many things together, but had neglected to carve out time to just talk and share things on our hearts. We decided that directly after Noah goes to bed was a perfect time to forget other things and just sit together to process the day. We began last night, talking a lot about how the Lord is teaching us to live more simply, areas where we see our own sin and need for repentance, what it looks like to truly love people, an frustrations with our own difficulties in doing so. Wow, that time of connection is so needed, and we really missed it. Now why can't I see my personal time of connecting with God as even more crucial?! I'm still subject to the American disease of busyness. Praise the Lord for his grace and gentle hand in teaching us.


Noah loves Concho, our friend who watches him for a couple hours each day. She has also cooked several absolutely delicious Peruvian specialties. Thanks, Concho!

Frank and I in serious discussion. I ended up buying the guitar I'm holding here.

In closing, Laura happened to capture Noah on video enjoying some Latin music. I can't stop watching it and loving our little musician. Here's the link where I think it's a little clearer, but I'm posting the video here too.

2 comments:

The Ryans said...

he is too cute! we love noah videos.

The Nolls said...

That is sooooo CUTE!! We love seeing Noah so well adjusted :) We love you all and pray for you!