Monday, March 26, 2007

And finally...

I'm posting a bunch of blogs today, because I'm realizing that it is probably going to be a lot more difficult to post once our studies really get going. Which brings me to my first topic:
Language School
Today, I went to the first day of our Spanish classes, while Laura stayed with our recovering son. What a humbling experience! I took the basic assessment test and realized just how far I have to go. Talk about deer-in-the-headlights. Everything I tried to get in four years of high school Spanish crammed into one four-page exam. Every subtley different tense that we may or may not have spent one week on during senior slump came rushing back to me, and the teacher could only laugh at my bewildered looks. We use what we know of the language all through the day, rarely speaking in English, and I know our speaking and listening abilities have improved immensely since arriving, but it's good to know that we have so much to learn, and so much time to practice. And it is great to be right in the city where we can walk out the door and use what we just learned.
It is very refreshing to have a bit more of a purpose here too. We have spent the last two weeks learning about the city, adjusting to a new life, and keeping each other healthy. We have toured around and have about reached that point where a vacation gets old and you either want to go home or dig into a bigger purpose. Thankfully, we have the latter. We are not on a vacation; we have been called here by the Lord to study the great language of Spanish, so we can serve and love the people of Peru and truly build relationships and community at the heart level. Mediocre gringo Spanish will not do for such a calling. Again, thank you for all your prayers and words of encouragement.

P.S. FĂștbol update - whereas the city was busier than usual Saturday morning, come game time it was comparatively a ghost town. Fortunatley, Melgar won and retained its place atop the Peruvian standings. In related news, the Sub-17 Peruvian national team tied Argentina yesterday to secure a place in the Sub-17 World Cup. Even these youth games are televised nationally, and front-page news. Before that, Brazil's team scored 3 goals in the first 25 minutes and destroyed Ecuador. I think their Sub-17 team could beat the US National team. Soccer is king down here.

No comments: