Thursday, October 02, 2008

Our Trip Home - Part 4 - On the Farm

Monday morning, the grandparents played with Noah while I finished gathering and packing things up for our trip (this time just Noah and me) to North Carolina with my parents and nieces Marlea and Harmony. It worked out that on our way down, Annmarie was just getting off work and would be off the next 2 days, so we stopped just outside of Richmond and waited for her to catch-up with us before caravanning down.

Our first morning there, we got a call saying that my uncle's sailboat (the one which my Dad helped sail from Alabama to South Carolina) would be arriving that morning on a big truck. Sure enough, it came and is now firmly grounded in my parents' yard for the next couple years while my Dad and Uncle John rebuild it. Later that day my sister, Cindy, came down on the train and my cousin Corrie, her husband Dan and their 3 boys (Tyler, Joshua, and Samuel) joined us for a mini-reunion. What a sweet time it was, again, to be with so many loved ones! We went swimming at the hotel where Dan and Corrie stayed the night and had dinner at the farm that night all together, with my Aunt Terri, Uncle John and cousins Michael and Stephen.

The next day, we took my parents' boat out on the river and let all the kids (some grown-ups too) go tubing! Noah even came with me on it and had a blast! After lunch we said good-bye to Dan and Corrie for their drive back to Charlotte. Later we said bye to Annmarie - what a treat it was to get some time with her and have her there to see and meet so much family!

The next several days were spent just hanging out at the farm and going on the boat nearly each day. One afternoon boatride included seeing dolphins right there in the river where we were waterskiing! Yes, I did get a chance to waterski - I hadn't done it in years, but it was a nice gentle ride and in no way harmful to the baby (c:

Some of Noah's other highlights included going for a tractor ride with Papa, playing with Molly and Maddie (Baba & Papa's black labs), trying to play with their cat, playing with Marlea and Harmony, driving Annmarie's car around the farm (with a little help), playing in the pool and "Slip'n'Slide," and just being there with Baba and Papa.

I enjoyed meeting some of Mom and Dad's friends and neighbors, making memories together on the boat and the farm, finding my maternity clothes and some other items for the new baby that my parents are storing for us without a lot of searching, sitting on the porch swing while a storm was brewing, attending church with Mom and Dad and feeling so cared for by their members, and best, spending time with my parents - just being together and a part of their lives for about a week.

On Monday, we all headed back to VA so we could catch our flight on Tuesday morning. We had one last night all together at Michael's parents' house and then my parents and Dottie came with us to the airport. We said good-bye, but my mom was able to accompany me through to the gate, helping me with Noah's carseat. Off we went, but I must say that it was much easier saying good-bye knowing that both sets of our parents will come and visit in February after the baby comes.

Noah did great on the (8hr) flight! He was so excited to see Daddy when we arrived - he jumped out of his stroller and ran with arms open wide! Then we saw that Elita and her children, Jimmy, Tito, and Elsa were all there to meet us too! What a sweet surprise - we felt so loved upon our return. In the taxi on the way home, Michael sat between us and Noah just wanted to hug Daddy's arm the whole way home - he had such a contented look on his face. We were all back together again.

No comments: