Monday, May 14, 2007

Writing and music

Noah never ceases to surprise us. He started scribbling, as we posted before, with crayons, but recently has preferred pens. He knows how to take the top off and put it back on, and knows which end to write with. The craziest thing is that he has somehow learned how to hold the pen like any adult would, between his first few fingers. I promise we didn't pose this or even correct his grip. He loves taking a piece of paper or a notebook (or a wall or his shirt) and sitting down to write. It's very purposeful, like he really has some thoughts to get down or notes to take. We have an amazing little boy.



I did forget to mention one thing new from last week. On a recommendation from my teachers, I started taking lessons from a music professor at the university here. I am studying the quena, a traditional Andean instrument. It's not the classic multi-tube zamponia you might be thinking of - though I may study that later - but rather much more like a flute or recorder (see picture). It has a beautiful tone - when played by somebody like the professor. I am just starting, however, and all the trumpet and vocal experience in the world doesn't help me contort my lips in the necessary manner for making a sound. It's great fun, though, and a terrific outlet for practicing Spanish in a different setting. I'm also learning all the music-reading vocabulary in Spanish, which is both exciting and humbling. I pray it will be another way in the future to connect with Peruvians - music tends to do that.
Here I am trying to serenade Noah, who is less than thrilled.

No comments: