Thursday, December 21, 2006

I married a prince

Give me a chance to tell you a little about my husband. As his wife, I feel that I have the closest view of who he really is and so I want to share some of that knowledge with those who don't know him as well. It will be best illustrated in the form of a story...
Monday night, Michael's mom watched Noah giving us a date night. Those are such precious times for us. We went to dinner at this new Italian place in Crystal City called Bebo Trattoria. We were welcomed by observing an Italian cooking class that was underway - reminding us of the one we attended while on our honeymoon in Italy. We had a delicious meal, sharing our entrees, a glass of Chianti, and a hazelnut torte for dessert while we had the chance to catch up and discuss things that only this kind of intentional time set aside can bring up. Afterwards we walked around Old Town, Alexandria. It was a rather mild evening, nothing like what it was five years ago on New Year's Eve when Michael proposed to me there after our carriage ride through the streets, trees twinkling with little white lights. This night we walked through those same twinkling streets, out of one shop on King Street and were greeted by a homeless man selling roses. "Two for $5!," he said to Michael, as he complimented me, trying to convince him that a pretty lady needed some pretty flowers. These roses were clearly the last of the bunch, wilting, petals loosely hanging on, and without fragrance, but Michael saw their beauty as they would help a brother in need. As he pulled out his wallet, he found he only had a $20 and the man only had a $10 in change, so he said "Four for $10! Sorry, it's all I have," and Michael handed him the money. My heart was warmed as I took my roses, some of the most lovely I've ever received because of the beauty that they reveal about who my husband is, a loving, generous, and compassionate man. Once we brought them home and gave them a little TLC, they perked up. They are sitting on my desk today, fading, but still a sweet reminder of the prince that I married.

No comments: