Friday, November 03, 2006

Well, it's been a little while, but we've had a lot going on in the last couple weeks, so we plan on putting a number of posts up in the near future. I have to admit, it took me (Michael) some time to warm to the blog idea, but now I'm sold. We love reading friends' blogs, and have been encouraged by those who enjoy ours. As we prepare for Peru, it definitely is a great way of keeping in touch with our wonderful supporters, especially those who don't know us as well.
We just spent a fabulous weekend in our recent favorite city, New York, visiting my brother Matthew! He lives and works in the East Village, a wonderfully diverse and interesting part of town near Chinatown and Little Italy. It is actually where "Rent" is set, though it has changed a bit and is now a hip (but not touristy) residential area. Matthew teaches at a middle school for low-income boys, and is also in grad school at Fordham. We really had a great time with him and his girlfriend - going out to eat, meeting his students, recording a song, and just getting to chat. My brother always makes me think and examine different perspectives, and I appreciate our discussions. Noah came along for the ride, and was again mezmerized by the commotion of the city. I feel like there's so much more to say about the city and my awesome brother, but I'll save it for later. Here are some pictures that weren't technically taken this weekend, but are where we were.


This is where my brother teaches!


The view from Matthew's roof, with midtown Manhattan in the distance

No comments: