Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I get to be Noah's Dad


I have been absolutely amazed lately at the joy of fatherhood! Forgive me if I get a little sappy, but it's really knocking my socks off. I didn't think I was ready for it, and (cliche alert) I still feel like I am a bit of a kid myself. Really, though, it's true! How can I be given such incredible responsibility, to care for this precious boy? He has so much to learn, and is so helpless. He will look to us for everything, from changing his diapers and providing cheerios now, to learning to ride a bike and applying to college later. Even deeper, his understanding of God and His mercy will in no small way be shaped by the manner in which that is lived out in our family. Wow. So I feel a great sense of awe in standing before this two-toothed wonder. And though there is some anxiety in that awe, there is great joy and anticipation as well. If I could only capture the feeling when I walk into the room and he gives me one of his big squinty smiles, then gets bashful and buries his face in Mom's shoulder. Every little moment throughout the day makes me want to quit everything else: reading a board book, cheering him on as he explores and tries to stand up, guiding him away from danger, acting silly to bring out a hearty giggle. When people ask what has it been like being a father, I often say that it brings out rich feelings and emotions you never had before, and simply could not have any other way. There is a sense of deep love and protection, a desire for the best for him, and a new understanding of family. I am so blessed that Laura is Mom to Noah and wife to me. She is exceptional, a woman to be praised, and she shows me forgiveness and patience as Jesus does - completely undeserved. Now Noah is starting to teach me about a Father's love; the imagery in scripture is coming alive and it is just too much for me to fully grasp. But like Noah, I am learning slowly.

No comments: