Sunday, April 27, 2008

Big Boy Bed!

It's about time! Noah has been capable of climbing out of his crib for quite a while, but had simply decided not to. Maybe he liked the security of the crib. So we didn't push the issue of getting him to sleep in a regular bed - it's not like we're hurrying to have his crib for a little sibling, at least not yet. (c: But I had always said that after Matthew and Kerry's visit we would make the switch, since we needed the twin bed for Uncle Matthew to sleep on anyways.

On Friday, Noah was playing around his pack'n' play when he accidently flipped himself over the side, landed on his head and got himself a nice abrasion on his forehead from some ribbed fabric inside the crib - I was right there when it happened and of course not quick enough to do anything about it. All this to say, that was the final straw and the crib had to go.

He went off to school, and of course we got lots of people asking what happened to his head - it's hard enough to explain in English, let alone Spanish. While he was at school, I made his big-boy-bed up with sheets and put all of his bed buddies and softy blankets just how he likes them. His mattress rests on the floor, so I'm not worried about him falling out. I left the crib in the room, but changed its position and put his bean bag chair in it to make it look off limits. I made a big deal of the whole thing when he got home from school and explained how he would get to sleep in the big-boy-bed today for his nap. We read our books, sang, and prayed together just like normal, and when I put him down I told him I would leave the door open, so he would know I was still there. And after maybe one whimper, he was out! I couldn't believe it! I made him a little chart just to encourage him.

Now we're two days into it. He's slept through the night both times and my only complaint is that he's waking up around 6am - but we'll work through that. The crib is now stowed away, hopefully not to be seen until the next one comes along.




His favorite spot in the kitchen, this time helping me make omelets



Our Big Boy, sitting in a Big Chair, with cup and straw instead of a Sippy Cup - well, maybe he spilled a little...



No comments: