Thursday, February 28, 2008

That couldn't be.....??

Would you believe they actually show American Idol here? Yes, all the drama, with Spanish subtitles, comes right to our living room, though a week late each time, and I love it. We admit (with only a little shame) to being fans, mostly because there really are some talented people performing. But this year, I was in for a huge surprise. Watching the run-up to the final 24 last week, I could not believe my eyes as they announced a young blond kid from Staunton, VA named Colton Berry. When I was a student teacher at Stuarts Draft Middle School, exactly 5 years ago, Colton was in my class!! His voice was excellent back then, very mature for the goofy 13-year-old that he was. He even gave me a little demo he made of a country song. I remember thinking that he was a really nice guy, and that he had such potential to be a great singer (of course, as an educator, I believe that about ALL my students!). But who knew? There he was, singing for Simon, Randy, Paula, and millions more on TV! Naturally, because of the role that those crucial six weeks played in his vocal development, I take full credit for his success. :)

Unfortunately, he was voted off last week, but it was still incredible to see this kid who I briefly taught make it so far! Congratulations Colton!


P.S. With Colton gone, the one to watch now is another young lad named David Archuleta.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

that's pretty cool. we know you coached him to his success. you are right... David is miles ahead of the others... miles. he will win without much trouble!! -Reade

Above or Below the Mason/Dixon said...

Shamefully, I admit that I'm addicted to watching Idol! David Archuleta is my absolute fav!! Pretty neat that you got the chance to know Colton!!