Friday, January 29, 2010

Thinking of Peru

Wednesday morning, I was stunned to see a newsflash that Cusco, Peru had declared a state of emergency due to flooding and mudslides. It breaks my heart to hear of people getting airlifted out of Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu, the pride and joy of that nation. With roads and trains closed, I imagine there is very little help for those left behind. With the lack of infastructure and widespread corruption in both local and national government, it will likely take a long time to recover from something like this. The decrease in tourism will affect not only the larger businesses, but even more so, the small ones - the families who run the bodegas, farms, and little shops.
I just watched a video I posted in April 2008 from my Inca Trail adventure and was reminded of all the beauty of the Sacred Valley - quite Sacred indeed as God's glory in His creation is so clearly displayed.
Please pray with us for Peru.

No comments: