Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Choral Music!

I recently happened upon a news report about the Idaho State University Chamber Choir touring Peru, and tonight they performed in Lima centro with the Women's Choir from the Universidad Católica. It was a great concert, both groups singing a range of works from Bach to Duruflé. Favorites.......the women performed some really lovely works by Peruvian composers (I would give the names, but their part didn't have a program), and the Americans did a John Tavener piece, "Exhortation and Kohima," which I was not familiar with, but that was just beautiful. But their "Lux Arumque" by Whitacre was my favorite of the night - a stunning performance. They all joined together at the end for Moses Hogan's "Ride on, King Jesus". The fabulous acoustics (and architecture) of the Basilica San Francisco made the whole thing that much more impressive. It's not often that one gets to enjoy a concert like this in Lima, and it definitely makes me miss the choral world I left back in the States.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The women's choir sang "Prayer of the Children" at one of their concerts this semester and I was reminded of our amazing madrigal group! Hope all is well with you!