Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Holding down the fort...


Last Thursday night, my best friend, Annmarie Breen, arrived! She came to visit and help me with the boys while Michael hikes the Inca Trail this week. He left on Sunday night with our friend Mark Chapman and three of his friends, Jeff, Matt, and David. We sure miss Daddy around here, but are finding ways to stay busy - not hard to do with a 3-yr-old and a newborn! Already, Annmarie has proven a terrific "second-in-command" to mommy, sleeping with Noah in his bed the last two nights when he woke at 3 and 4:30 am. She has helped with Noah's transition to having to wear a patch on his right (strong) eye every day. She was also a huge help holding a fussy baby during Noah's first dentist appointment on Monday, so I could hold Noah and convince him that the swirling polishing brush wouldn't hurt. Countless times throughout our days together do I ask for her help or, more frequently, I find her doing things that I never asked her to do but she just knows how much it would help! I haven't hung up laundry to dry or done dishes since she arrived. Her constant companionship and support has been such a huge encouragement to me. She's got a little less than a week with us still and we've got lots to pack into the rest of her visit!


Enjoying Elita's Arroz con Leche. She taught us how to do it too!

Michael and the guys return on Saturday. Today was probably their toughest day, hiking to the highest peak of the trail. Tomorrow will be the longest day, hiking up two more peaks and descending hundreds of stairs before arriving to the campsite at the entrance to Machu Picchu. On Friday morning, they will arise before dawn and begin the speedy 1 1/2 hour trek to the sungate, so they can catch the sunrise as it shines its first rays onto the Inca's most famous sanctuary. (At least that's how I remember it was. We'll see if they have a similar experience (c:)


The dentist was very patient and gentle with Noah
Every morning Noah tells me what he wants to put on his patch - today it was a sticker with three stars on it. The other day it was Captain Hook's hook. He really is doing great with this transition, even though the hardest parts are putting it on and taking it off. Thank you to all who are praying!

1 comment:

The Sweet Rock Candy Mountain said...

Yay Noah! I am so proud of you and all of the good work you are doing to make your eyes strong!

Yay Laura! I am so proud of you for giving your husband such a grand gift as an epic adventure with his buddies.

Yay AM!! I am so glad you are there to help my little sister and your sister of the heart. Thank you for doing all that you do!

Love you!
Cindy