Saturday, September 15, 2007

Sillustani

On the way to the airport after Puno (two weeks ago), we took a detour to a recommended site called Sillustani, and we were very glad we did. As we drove through the desert, seemingly out of nowhere appeared a hill that might have otherwise been unnoticed, but for the fact that it was covered in rock mounds. Sillustani is an ancient burial site, used first by a pre-Incan culture, then taken over and used by the Incas themselves. The bigger the rock-tower, the more important the person was. The first group didn't cut the rocks, but the Incas always did (see pics of Sacsayhuaman and Machu Picchu). What I found most fascinating about the Inca part of the ruins was that it was almost like a snapshot in time. There were tombs in all stages of construction, even a workshop of sorts where they were cutting the rocks. It was all just left, mid-project, when the Spaniards came, and we see it just as it was. The location itself is quite a sight - one side looks out over barren desert landscape, and the other over a huge blue lake that may have at one time been a volcano. We had a great guide, Miguel Angel, who explained everything and took us afterward to the airport. The more we see of Peru, the more we are amazed by its beauty.



Cute little boy and his vicuña

Our guide was wonderful! Thankfully, Noah seems to really enjoy riding in his backpack.

3 comments:

Miguel Angel said...

Hola!!! That's me!! long time ago! iwas your guide

Miguel Angel said...

Hello Sir... I was your guide at that moment, it was funny. so now I have my son as you and I was asking you about that baby bag you are in the picture at Sillustani... So if you can send it to me I can pay the price of it, hope you are not still using it, this probably is extrange for you but I like that bag, no one uses something like that here en Puno-titikaka, I can actually buy it by internet but I don't know the right name of it.

Thanks anyways.

Miguel Angel - Puno - titikaka lake - PERU

Miguel Angel said...

Enjoy your life!!! best wishes for you!! and your relatives... I've seen to Noe so big... he is so cute.

bye